Search This Blog

Monday, April 15, 2013

Her Name Was Audrie Pott



A blogger friend of mine once posed the question to other bloggers:  “Why do you blog?”  He was flooded with replies from writers with just about every reason in the book, but the reason I most related to was:  DISCIPLINE.  Believe it or not there are many times when I don’t have the time to write, don’t have much of anything to say, or just flat out don’t feel like doing it.  But it’s the commitment to a weekly post that drives me.  I feel like if I can be disciplined enough to do this, then I can be disciplined enough to successfully commit and complete other tasks as well. 

Today is one of those days that I don’t really feel like it and I’m feeling like I’ve got nothing to write about. Wait – hold on a sec.  Let me clarify; I’m never without words and there is never a shortage of things for me to talk about.  The questions I’m always asking myself are:

(1) Will the readers get it?
(2) Will the readers care?
(3) Haven’t I talked about that before?
(4) Is that topic too personal?

I’m not gonna go on a long rant today, primarily because I’m not in the mood.  But I will tell you this:  the one thing that’s remained heavy on my mind for the past few days is the story of 15 year old Audrie Pott.  If you’ve not heard, Audrie committed suicide after being sexually assaulted by classmates.  I’m beyond sad for Audrie and her family, I really am.  I don’t know that I can even quite put it into words, but I’m completely devastated and floored by this news.  In 2013??  Seriously people?  I just don’t get it, and I don’t know when this kind of senseless behavior will end.  I’m just tired, and with every story of sexual abuse/assault that we hear of there are loads that go unreported.  Something has got to be done and I can’t continue to wait for someone else to do it.

That it all for now.

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES. 

No comments:

Post a Comment