Search This Blog

Friday, November 2, 2012

Taking a Deeper Look; Gaining Perspective



Here we go.  I’m gonna try to be as transparent as possible with you guys today.  This one is gonna be a little tough for me, not because I fear judgment or have any shame, but because you never want to be the one airing the dirty laundry of another.  That’s not my place.  So I’m stepping gingerly this morning, but I’m stepping nonetheless.

There are women in my family that have spent their fair share of time in physically abusive relationships and even as a grade school child, it never made any sense to me.  Why on God’s green earth would any person in their right mind willing sign up to be another person’s punching bag?  Why?  Why would they cry, complain, and get law enforcement involved time after time, just to again open the doors of their homes and hearts to the hurtful ones?  Why, as a woman, would you knowingly expose your children to such a relationship?  To such destruction…such terror…  I saw it in my own home and I saw it in the homes of other family members, and it just flat out left me baffled.  Scratching my head for answers and coming up with nothing.  It brought such sadness to me to see these supposed strong women let themselves get reduced to something less than human as they were yelled at, called names, slapped, punched and kicked around.  They were awful scenes and it was horrendous to watch.

I grew up hating them at times and having absolutely no respect for them.  Even as a kid I knew better.  In school we were learning the meaning of self-respect, and it was clear to me that these women had none.  If I knew anything, I knew I would never grow up to be like them.  I knew I would never let a lover, a friend, or otherwise beat me and treat me as if I were less than.  That’s a vow I made to myself as a child and I’ve carried it with me all my life.  I wanted no parts of what they had because I am better than that.

Well…God strikes again.  Just this week I’ve had the pleasure of meeting a woman who was in one of those ugly situations that I described earlier.  That was once the world she lived in, and she’s seen her life hanging in the balance.  Saving the emotional damage that comes with any abusive situation, she’s managed to come out on the other side whole and in one piece.  However it happened, our conversation tiptoed the topics of physical abuse and long before she began to share her personal story with me she said, “Jaz, I would ask and urge you to love those woman still.  Find it in your heart to have empathy for them because to live in the world they once lived in, you’ve got to be in a very dark place.”

She went on to as best she could, paint the picture of the mindset of the woman that stays in abusive relationships.  And for the first time in my life, I began to see the women in my family differently.  I actually hurt and felt sorry for them.  All these years I’ve been wagging an imaginary index finger in their faces calling them all kinds of stupid, dumb idiots – but my new friend has opened my eyes to a different point of view and I will be eternally grateful.

I will never know what it’s like to walk in the shoes that an abused woman wears, but I do have a much better understanding for the mental space they reside in.  And I can open my heart, and I can love them in spite of the mistakes I feel they make.  I can respect them regardless of what my eyes see.  And I can be there for them because I now recognize that though they may not voice it, they need me.

I’ve written posts before on perspective, and it’s a topic that never gets old.  I am super-duper grateful for crossing paths with this new friend and I’m honored and humbled that she trusted me enough to share.

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES.

No comments:

Post a Comment