Search This Blog

Friday, October 5, 2012

Think Twice About the Path You Choose



Today I’m tapping on the shoulders of Hookup Henry and Shortcut Susie because I’m just tired.  I completely understand that we are in an economic pinch that virtually everyone can feel, and I get it.  Gas is rising to prices that don’t even seem to make sense, yet our paychecks are staying the same.  I get it.  Trust me; if I could figure out a way to fuel my car on potatoes and rice, I’d do it.  So I completely understand the need for getting a bit crafty and creative these days.  And I’m not speaking to those individuals that are earnestly trying to figure out how to make a dollar out of fifteen cents.  It’s called (sorry Tim Gunn) making it work.

I’m talking to the folks that regardless of the economy, regardless of the money in their pockets, bank accounts and trust funds, they are always looking to cut a corner.  They’re the first ones asking for comp tickets to your event.  They brag about the free parking they found twelve blocks from the venue.  They grin ear to ear telling you about the fun that can be had riding skyscraper elevators – for free – that it’s fun equivalent to that of the most thrilling roller coasters.  Their heads swell as they share the intricate details and inner workings of their shopping experiences…the baker across town always puts an extra roll in my bag…the lady in that check-out stand never charges me for my candy bar…I get it twenty-five cents cheaper when I order it on Ebay…  Seriously?  Just stop.  Does EVERYthing have to be about a hookup or a shortcut?  Are you not willing to do anything outright?  And I’m not talking about being foolish for the sake of being foolish.  If your cousin has a vacation home they’re willing to lone you for a week – take it!  Absolutely!  Take any gift that’s being offered or given to you.  That’s very different than calling everyone you know and driving around town scouring for a way to save a nickel.  Staying on the phone with fill-in-the-blank bill person for an hour to get them to reverse the $1.43 that they overcharged you.  And I even understand that it’s the principle of the matter that’s got you fired up.  Been there, done that.  But time is our most precious commodity.  Once it’s gone we can never get it back, and it can seem to slip out of our hands at an alarming rate.  How much is your time really worth to you?  I see that you’ve got your chest poked out that your credit card has it’s $1.43 back, but was it worth an hour of your time?  Is it worth saving twenty-five cents for something on Ebay when you’re gonna have to pay for shipping?  Why are you so excited about getting a free candy bar?  Is it really about the free candy and piece of bread or is it about this person making you feel special?  Because neither item costs over $1.00 – if you were already shopping, something tells me these are things you could have paid for on your own.  And I can’t even speak to making a big deal out of riding hotel elevators.  Ok, it’s one thing to do it.  Big deal.  It’s another to pat yourself on the back for finding “free fun” in the city.  Now you just look silly. And the free parking twelve blocks away?  Just to arrive to the event a sweaty mess?  Feet already hurting in your heels?  It’s just not worth it to me.  My time is so much more valuable.  The way I look at it, if I can’t afford to pay the $5-$20 to valet or the hourly meter rate, then I can’t afford to go.  You can’t afford to go out to dinner if you haven’t factored in a generous tip for your server.  The parking, the cost of the meal, and the server’s tip are all a part of the same experience. 

And it’s kind of crazy, but what you’ll find when you are doing things on the up and up, cutting no corners, is that others will want to offer you help and assistance just because.  More gifts will come to you, and you didn’t have to drive around town all morning to find them.  And the gifts/hookups you’ll receive will be a lot more valuable than a free candy bar.  People love to see people work and they love to help those that appear to be helping themselves.  Everyone is dead tired and sick of seeing you with your hand out.  Don’t be Hookup Henry or Shortcut Susie because in the long run, the shortcut doesn’t necessarily get you there any quicker.

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES. 

No comments:

Post a Comment