Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

There Is So Much Healing In a Single Dose

When I turned on my computer this morning, I was welcomed by a touching email from a friend and colleague. Without going into too much detail, I want to share with you a snippet of the message:

It was a blessing to meet you and experience you up close and personal. Your performance, rare and stunningly authentic spoke volumes to so many. Thank you for sharing with me during those couple of intense conversations we had.”

I don't share this with you to wave a compliment in your face – it's not about that at all. And if you feel that way, I apologize to you greatly. I share it to show the importance of telling another when they've affected us in a positive way. When I read this email, it completely warmed my heart. I immediately read it a second time and have read it at least four or five times since. This note reminded me of my goals and my purpose – not that I've ever forgotten, but it is very easy to put things on our mental back-burners when life throws us some mess. And what I've got to learn for myself is that everything isn't urgent. Not everything needs to be tended to right now. Not everyone needs my attention ASAP. No disrespect to anyone, but there is much work to do, and I am only one person. I have always been just one person, and I'm not complaining; but I have come to learn my limits. Though it hurts and stings a little, sometimes saying , “no” is the best thing I can do.

Let's see if I can get back on course here. I seemed to have strayed a little from the point I originally wanted to make. Sharing positivity with another. It's essential. It really is. If you have a friend, coworker, or family member that has affected you in a positive way, you owe it to that person to let them know. By you taking the time to relay that message you return the blessing to them. Does that make sense? They have, whether or purpose or by accident, managed to bless you in some way – the least you could do is let them know how much their presence and kindness has meant to you. And simply by doing so, you will, in turn, bless them.

It's really that simple. People need to know when they've made a positive impact on your life. They need to hear it. Life can be so tumultuous at times, that it's very easy for any of us to say out loud or to ourselves, “Why bother?” And even in those moments when we just want to surrender to the lemons that are being thrown our way, we are well within our right to do so and no one would think ill of us. But when we get that bit of friendly encouragement it fills our tank and gives us just enough fuel to march ahead. It gives us the strength to pick up the pile of lemons that has collected at our feet and turn them into our best batch of lemonade yet. It revitalizes us. Gives us a much needed slap on the hiney saying, “You can do it!” That's what this morning's email did to me. I feel like I'm on top of the world and like nothing can stop me. So you know what I did?

#1: I wrote a message back to my friend expressing my thanks and gratitude for blessing me with such thoughtful words.

#2: I wrote a similar message to someone that has been a blessing to me in my life over the years.

So stop being stingy. If someone puts a smile on your face; let them know. If someone touches your spirit; let them know. If someone warms your heart, don't be afraid to let them know. Do your part so that the circle of blessings continues. I don't think anyone would argue that we would all benefit from an extra dose of heartfelt kindness.

So your homework assignment? Let someone know how they've been a positive impact on you today. Before you rest your head on your pillow tonight, please do that much for me – and watch what happens.

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES.

No comments:

Post a Comment