Search This Blog

Friday, January 11, 2013

I'm Feeling Very Reptilian



I’ve talked about “shedding” in the past, and it’s a subject that I want to revisit today.  I don’t plan on writing at length today, primarily because I don’t have the time, so I will try to make my point as quickly and succinctly as possible. 

Not everyone has your back.  Not everyone has your best interests at heart.  Not everyone is excited to see you succeed.  Some people are actually hoping and praying for you to fail.

Sometimes those people are your closest friends.

Just because you’ve known him or her since childhood doesn’t mean it’s a relationship that you have to carry with you to your grave.  If you are earnestly on your journey and focused on your mission, God will always continue to put the right people in your path.  I know that, and even though I believe it with every fiber of my being, (because I’ve seen it happen in my own life) I'm still preaching to myself as I type. Even still, you have to know and believe it for yourself as well.

This is a tough one.  It really is.  You’ve known them for a decade or more… You guys have been telling each other everything for years…  This is the one person that knows everything there is to know about you…  Ya’ll have so much history…  You can’t just up and throw that away, right?  Friendships are worth fighting for, right?  Yes.  Of course.  Some of them are.  Absolutely, and I don’t aim to sound as if no one you know if worth two cents.  That’s not what I mean at all.

That word again:  shedding.

Sloughing off old things that no longer fit and that no longer work, to make space for new things (and people) that do:  shedding.

Most of you know exactly what I’m talking about because you’ve already experienced it in your own lives.  That unexplainable “weirdness” that is so thick in the air between you and your bestie all of a sudden.  You can’t figure if you’ve changed or if they’ve changed; all you know is things are different. 

What ends up happening most of the time is the Big Blowout.  It’s that fight, argument, or situation that finally puts the two of you head-to-head and at complete odds.  It ends nastily and both of you walk away believing this ‘thing’ was the reason for your relationship’s ultimate demise.  It happens to college roommates all the time.  But let me tell you, the Big Blowout isn’t what broke the friendship.  Know it or not, you guys were on a slow decline and it was just a matter of time before you drifted apart and away from each other for good and forever.  The Big Blowout only sped up the process.  Trust me, that was a friendship that wasn’t gonna last forever.  The Big Blowout just put a lot of ugly in your face all at once, and you could hide from it no longer. 

You will always have fond memories of this person, but their season was up.  That was someone you were spending way too much time with anyway.  It was necessary for you to shed them so that you could clear some space for the awesomeness that was awaiting you around the corner.  Relationships of any kind should be rewarding, uplifting and motivating.  A friend just told me on Wednesday that relationships are only worth holding on to if you’re being “fed” in some way.  He said once you’re no longer being “fed,” it’s time to call it quits, and I can’t help but agree.

I won’t argue that this kind of shedding isn’t met with an immediate feeling of loneliness – but it’s temporary. On the upside you feel lighter, completely rejuvenated, and you'll have a sense of freedom you hadn’t experienced in years.  Meditate on what I’ve said, but ultimately listen to the inner voice that guides your way.  Only you know if this is a relationship worth fighting for, or one that you’ve got to shed.  Negative or positive be ready and willing to live with the consequences of your decision.  As for me?  I’m feeling very reptilian, and I know what I’ve got to do.

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPINGON A FEW TOES.

Note to Readers:  Moving forward I will only be posting once/week on Fridays.  This may change at some point, but it’s a necessary adjustment that I need to make for the time being.  I appreciate your understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment