Search This Blog

Friday, January 4, 2013

Let Someone Else Claim That Baggage



Today is Day 4 of the New Year and I’ve only got one message:  leave all your mess at the door.

Every moment we’re alive we have the opportunity to make changes and do something a little different than we’re accustomed.  That’s a gift that we all have, yet few take advantage of.  However; every December 31st most sprint for the chance to make grand, sweeping changes in their lives; also known as ‘resolutions.’  Well I don’t necessarily believe in resolutions, but I’m all for positive change; and if the New Year is the time you’re choosing to do it, so be it.

I’m not gonna talk about your addictions.  I’m not gonna talk about your anger issues.  I’m not going to dig into the reasons why you hate your mother or your father.  Your baggage is your baggage and you know exactly what it is… you know exactly how many pieces of luggage you have… and you know exactly how much all that mess weighs.  I’m giving you until Monday night to drop it all.  Say good-bye to every stitch of it once and for all.  It’s weighing you down and it’s hindering you from becoming the best you’re able to become.  It’s given you its fair share of worry, sleepless nights, heartache, pain, disappointment, and frustration.  Enough is enough.  And I think even carrying it seven days into the year is too much, but I realize it takes most folks a little time to choose, decide and adjust.  And let’s be honest.  I’m not telling you anything that you haven’t already thought of.  Especially if you’ve spent any time thinking about what you hope to gain out of this fabulous new year.  You’re already thinking it; all I’m doing is prodding you to speed up the process a little bit.  For the people that are living perfect, fun-filled lives – clearly I’m not speaking to you.  I’m speaking to anyone that wants something different and knows they are capable of more – if they could just rid themselves of a few things/people.  I say, “Do it!  And do it now!”

There is a book entitled, “You Can’t Steal Second With Your Foot On First,” and that’s the message I’m trying to get to you (awesome book by the way).  If you’re truly focused on what’s ahead of you, you can’t possibly have the energy to keep looking behind you.  You just can’t.  And if you’re wondering why you keep taking two steps forward just to keep getting pushed three steps back; it’s because you’re knuckles are white from clutching on to old mess.  Let it go, man.  Come on now…just let it go.  I know the unknown is scary at times, but I would much rather see what it’s got to offer than to keep dragging around a bunch of heavy bags.  Good grief!  You’ve got to be tired!  You have to be!  No wonder you can’t make any headway – you’re carrying around all that unnecessary mess.  That would be a task for even the best athletes.  Shed it now.  Get that pep back in your step.  You’ve probably forgotten what that felt like, but you can have it back.  You need it back.  I need you to have it back.  But I’m only gonna ask this once.  You’ve got till midnight on Monday, January 7th to be done with it all.  And, please… don’t start in with the excuses.  But Jasmynne this – And but Jasmynne that.  Let’s not, ok?  You know I don’t have time.  This is already something you’ve been thinking about, I’m just giving you confirmation that, yes, you need to go ahead and get it done.  And I’m going one more step by giving you a timeline to work within.  Everything else is up to you.  Take it or leave it.  But know this:  until you rid yourself of all that luggage, you’ll never beat me in a foot race.  Never.

Let the games begin!

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES.

No comments:

Post a Comment