Search This Blog

Friday, July 6, 2012

Pocket Full of Gems


I want to take a moment to give my true blue buddies a shout out.  Man – I love you guys!  You are so incredibly awesome, and I thank God that our paths crossed.  Anyone should count themselves lucky when you find a friend that you can trust and confide in.  And you’ve really got a gem if you’ve got one that has your back no matter what.  One that roots for you and is genuinely happy when you succeed.  That’s rare.  Even the closest BFFs harbor a little envy every now and then.  But when you stumble across those rare ones...whew!  There’s nothing like it!  And nobody has to tap you on your shoulder to make you aware of what you’ve got.  You know it immediately.  People such as these are so uncommon that you’re almost blown away when you meet them.  True treasures.  Treasures put on this earth to help us out as we journey life’s rocky terrain and put here to be shining examples of human nature.  Uh!  If you’re blessed enough to have just a few of these in your close circle, you don’t need to crowd your speed dial with the other ones.  The ones that are only concerned with what you can do for them.  The ones that take, take, take.  The ones that continually cry on your shoulder yet they never have the time to wipe your watery eyes.  The ones flock to you when you achieve success but were nowhere to be found during your struggle.  Why even waste the space on your SIM card with their contact information?  Why bother? 

So today I’m stretching my arms out to those that have been nothing but supportive over the years.  I moved to Los Angeles in 2005, and feel so fortunate that these gems came into my life.  They have offered me words of wisdom.  They have listened to my tears.  They have cheered me on, and they have shared in my successes.  I am so grateful.

One of my gems has just been given an opportunity to work abroad for six months or longer.  He’ll be entertaining in a foreign country, soaking up a new culture, meeting new friends, making new contacts, and I couldn’t be happier for him.  I am ecstatic, and I know he’d feel the same for me if the tables were turned.

So that’s where I am today.  I’m saturated in feelings of gratitude not only because I love my friends, but because I’ve got more than one or two of these special people in my life.  They make me feel like I can do anything.  Like the sky is my only limit.  A single conversation with anyone of them and I’m ready to conquer the world, and isn’t that what friendship is supposed to be about?  Enough of the backstabbing and the belittling.  Enough.  So I’m wearing a huge smile on my face today because I’ve got a pocket full of gems that no amount of money could buy.  I’m rich.

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES.

No comments:

Post a Comment