Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Quirky Celebration


If you know me at all or have bothered to read a post or two on this thing I’m calling a blog, you know that I grew up feeling like a misfit and it made for a difficult, unhappy childhood.  Elementary school should be nothing but good times and laughter for all kids.  Outside of getting the coodies every now and then, it really should be fun for everyone.  High school is a time when we’re trying to flex our independence a bit with later curfews and self chauffeuring.  We might even get a job to find out what it’s like to earn our own money.  These four years are filled with experiences that are meant to mold and prep us for the supposed ‘real world’ (which is nothing like MTV, btw).  And for those that choose higher education, the years spent at university can be some of the wildest, most exhilarating times you’ll ever see.  Complete independence, making your own decisions, failing or succeeding at your own hand, finding out who you are and gaining precious intellect the whole while.  Great times.  Or at least they should be.  And this isn’t my sob story, because I know I’m not alone, but they weren’t awesome times for me.  Elementary…high school…college…it wasn’t great, and there are several reasons why, but a lot had to do with the fact that I just really never “fit” and I couldn’t understand why.  Everyone would be eager about going left when I wanted to go right.  The vast majority found enjoyment in things that literally got on my last nerve.  The masses seemed to have the same likes, dislikes, values, and integrity.  Then there was me.  Sore thumb me.  But in an effort to not be the odd man out, I did everything in my power to adopt their ways – feeling unfulfilled the whole time.  It was awful, and I would end up being disgusted with myself and embarrassed at my behavior.  Let me see if I can get to my point here…

Moving to Los Angeles, surrounding myself with other artists, has shown me that I’m not alone.  And believe you me, I used to hate people that used their artistry as an excuse to act a fool, be eccentric, or obviously odd for no apparent reason.  All the “craziness” seemed pointless and I swore they were nothing more than shameless attention whores.  And a few of them may be, but the majorities aren’t.  Most of them are individuals that are being true to their true selves and living without fear, shame, or regret. 

I’m getting there – or at least trying.

OK – to my point.  I was speaking with my brother, Justin Key, on Sunday and we discussed the importance of artists surrounding themselves with other artists.  Your closest friends should be artists.  Your lover and most trusted confidant should be an artist.  And Justin and I both agree that this is a bold statement, and it’s one that is frequently discussed amongst creative people.  But the point is, as an artist you have a better chance of being completely understood if you’re surrounded by other creative people.  There will be less need for explaining yourself to death; they’ll just “get it.”  And what a wonderful feeling – to be “gotten.”  It really doesn’t get much better.  When you say that something is a part of your “process” they just get it.  When you say that you have to get away for a bit, they just get it.  When you change the color of your hair six times in a twelve month period – they get it.  Everyone deserves to be understood.  Everyone deserves to have a sense of belonging.  Take this post as gospel or with a grain of salt (whatever that means), but if you’re a creative person, chances are you know exactly what I’m talking about.  Find those people that celebrate your quirks and I guarantee life will become less of a chore.

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES.

2 comments:

  1. This is simply beautiful, honest and true to the facts. It's a great feeling to be "got" to be "understood" to be "loved" for all our quirks and weird habits. Thank you so much Jas for this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading; thank you for being there when it counts; and thank you for always being a voice of reason. Much love!

    ReplyDelete