Search This Blog

Friday, April 13, 2012

Will You Let the Obstacle Win?



Well today is Friday the 13th.  I’m sure that means something to a lot of people.  For me I just reminisce about the once great movie franchise.  Some people will go so far as to stay indoors all day for fear that something bad will happen to them today.  I’m not one of those people.  But I will use the magic of today’s date to my favor and talk about overcoming adversity.  And with so many examples to choose from I’m gonna’ zero in on homelessness.  Specifically, those celebrities that were one time homeless.  I’ve heard some articles dub it as “Homeless to Hollywood.”  Let’s go there today…

Halle Berry:  lived in a New York City shelter as well as the WMCA

Drew Carey:  lived in his car at one point   

Jim Carrey:  lived in a yellow VW van in various Canadian locations with older brother John Carrey, older sister Rita Carrey, and parents Percy Carrey and Kathleen Carrey/outdoor camping in a tent with his family in the backyard of the home of his older married sister, Patricia Carrey

Kelly Clarkson:  spent time in a car/shelter, with her female roommate after a major structural fire forced them out of a 71-unit apartment building in West Hollywood, California in March 2002

Daniel Craig:  spent some time on a park bench in London while a struggling actor

Carmen Electra:  “You know I had a couple of years of being homeless in Hollywood… a lot of people don't even know this.  I remember sitting on a park bench in the valley… I was crying because I was stranded. It was over 100 degrees outside.”

Djimon Hounsou:  slept in the subway/streets/outdoor camping near the Eiffel Tower for two years beginning at age 13

Jewel:  spent time in a 1979 VW van; joined eventually by her mother/manager Lenedra Carroll, who lived out of her own VW van. Jewel: "I was homeless when I was 18."

Eartha Kitt:  spent time on apartment building rooftops in New York City

David Letterman:  was sleeping in a red 1973 Chevy pickup truck at one point

Phil McGraw / "Dr. Phil":  around age 12 he was homeless and living in a car.  “I was homeless living in a car with my dad. We eventually got a room at the downtown YMCA for five bucks a week..."

Suze Orman:  lived in a Ford van for a while

Tyler Perry:  lived in a convertible Geo Metro in the mid 1990s in Atlanta, Georgia

So on this Friday the 13th I ask, “What have you REALLY got to be afraid of?”  Things could always be so much worse.  And even if you were, are, or do become homeless…you’re in good company.  I’ve just shown you thirteen examples of triumph.  Thirteen individuals that did not let a bad situation stop them.  Question is; will you let yours stop you?  I sure hope not.

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES.

No comments:

Post a Comment