Search This Blog

Friday, February 24, 2012

Exact Same 24 Hours

Well this is the last Friday in February, which lets me know that 2012 is not only in full swing, but she’s moving on whether I like it or not. Whether I accomplish or not… Whether I succeed or not… Whether I stay focused or not, her focus remains the same, and all she gives a rip about is pushing forward. Having the sun rise one more day. That’s her one and only goal. Time. What a precious commodity. It’s one of the few things that we use that we can never get back. They don’t sell it in bulk at Costco so there’s no way to stock up on it. And it’s one of the few things that each of us has the exact same amounts of. In a single day we are each given twenty-four hours. Not a penny more and not a dime less. Twenty-four hours. You may have more money than me, more clothes than me, more friends than me, more technology gadgets than I’ve ever seen… Someone may be a more skilled musician than you, a better painter than you will ever be, or they may be a master chef without even trying… But none of that matters because the bigger question has nothing to do with the things you have or the skills you’ve been blessed with – the bigger question is: “How did you spend your time?” What did you do with the twenty-four hours that you were given today? What do you have to show for it? Anything? You reached a new level on Madden NFL? You bleached your bathrooms so that the floors are now clean enough to eat of off? And, please, understand me well – if I sound at all preachy, I’m only preaching to myself. This is where my thoughts lie every Jan-Mar and every Oct-Dec. For six months out of every year, I am ultra-consumed with the notion of running out of time. Call me crazy, but it’s important for me to leave a footprint on this earth when I’m gone. I refuse to not be remembered, and I refuse to not leave a lasting legacy (of some kind). Those are not options for me, and I understand that time is definitely of the essence. So I try to be as diligent and focused as possible to make certain I’m doing my part, ‘cause 2012 is telling me that she’s waiting on no man.

So today, my thoughts drift to “What have I accomplished in February 2012?” And I have answers for you, but I’ll save that for next week’s blog. To anyone reading today, I suppose the take-away messages should be “you still have time” and “the year is still young.” Whatever goals or resolutions you laid out for yourself on Jan 1st are still very achievable if you’re interested in achieving them. Use this weekend to do a little mental house-keeping, if you will. Get refocused, rededicated and reenergized, because we each have the exact same twenty-four hours. What are you going to do with yours?

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES.

No comments:

Post a Comment