Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Four Quarters


I might use today to say something about Leap Year if I actually knew what its purpose was. I’m refusing to use what little time I have to research it, so that pitiful mention is all you’ll be getting from me.

I will close out February with today’s posting, and since I haven’t exactly awaken on the correct side of the bed this morning, I will keep this one brief. No need to drag you down with me.

So here we go. February is over, and we are rapidly approaching the end of 2012’s first quarter. First quarter. As of March 31st, a fourth of the year will be done. One fourth: gone. I made the decision in January that I would accomplish one thing each month. Just one. As long as I continue to achieve positive gains then I am on the right track. At the end of the year I will be able to look at 2012 and smile at the twelve buildings I managed to leap. So, as promised, here’s a recap of my February:

1) URBAN LEGENDS

I participated as a featured poet in another installment of Urban Legends, and I presented a new work as well. That’s a plus, because I haven’t been doing much writing in the way of poetry lately, so it felt great to have a new piece to share.

2) THE BLACK HISTORY OF POLITICS

I co-directed this piece with author, Justin Key, as a part of a Black History Month celebration at his church. The play was produced as a function of the church’s youth department, and everyone involved did an excellent job. For the most part, we were working with non-actors, and it brought such a smile to my face to see everyone rise to the occasion. Just an awesome experience!

Since Leap Year is gifting me an extra day, I will spend my time tomorrow planning. Getting things in order and in gear so that my first quarter goes out with a bang. The year only has four quarters, guys (hence ‘quarter’), so we have to do all we can to make each one count for something. Otherwise you’re left with just another twelve months, and I don’t know a single soul that can afford to keep letting 12 months of unaccomplishment go by. Certainly not me.

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES.

No comments:

Post a Comment