Search This Blog

Friday, August 24, 2012

Rocks or Water: Can You Be Heard?

If someone couldn't see you and could only hear your voice, would they be able to identify you without a shadow of a doubt? Is your voice clear? Is it identifiable even in a crowd or does yours sound like a million others? Do you have a voice? Do you? And I'm not asking if you can speak, I'm not asking if you can audibly be heard – I'm asking if you have a voice. Do YOU know who you are? Do you know what you stand for, what your interests are, what your beliefs are, what rubs you the wrong way? Have you identified those things for yourself or do you adopt the feelings, beliefs and characteristics of those around you? Are you solid and firm like a rock, unchanging no matter the environment; or are you like water conforming to every container (environment) you're placed in? Which are you? Who are you? How do you like your eggs prepared? Do you like eggs? Do you know?

Jasmynne, that's silly! Of course I know how I like my eggs!” Ok, don't get your undies in a bunch and stop yelling at me. Here's my point. Are you steadfast? When you're in a group of people that believe eating eggs is murder, do you still openly love them? Can your voice be heard in THAT crowd or does it shrink to the sidelines? When all the kids at school are picking on Tommy because of his lisp do you chime in or do you take a stand on Tommy's behalf? When everyone is talking about the dangers and disgusts of smoking do you still light up with confidence or do you retreat in shame? Ever eaten at a restaurant by yourself? Ever gone to the movies by yourself? Ever gone to a concert, to the theatre, to a club or to a party by yourself? Does that completely wig you out or are you that comfortable in your own skin to handle it? " If I want to go I'm going whether I've got anyone to go with or not. Why should I be held back according to the likes/dislikes of others?"

Alternatively when the “gang” is going to an event that doesn't interest you, do you skip it or do you go because you're expected to? Do you end up at a place bored to tears and counting the minutes just to save face? Just to please? Why? Who are you? Again I ask: Do you know who you are? Do you?

I'd venture to say that if you aren't one hundred percent comfortable in your own skin, if you've found yourself swaying on your morals, if you seem to always be conforming, if you're afraid to wear that because of what others will think, if you're nervous about changing your hairstyle because of how it will be received, if you don't know how you like your eggs, if you don't have a favorite color, if it takes you all day to come up with ten adjectives to describe yourself, if you don't have at least one close friend that you confide in, that you completely trust...I'd venture to say you don't know who you are. You don't have a voice and you haven't quite figured out “you” yet. Not the worst thing in the world, but it's something you'll want to tackle before much more time passes. You have no idea how much freedom you're missing out on by living under the thumb of others. Who cares what they sound like? What's it matter what they think? The question is, “Who are you?” and the answer is one I'm gonna leave you to come up with.

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES.

No comments:

Post a Comment