Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Small Change :: Big Results

It's been a few hours now and I can't seem to get the lyrics of Michael Jackson's “Man In the Mirror” out of my head. If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself, and then make a change – ugh! I love that lyric, and it's got me (yet again) pointing a finger at myself while asking, “Am I doing enough? Am I doing all I can?” And my gut tells me 'no' and it hurts because I know better. And I'm not even gonna speak on such grandiose terms as changing the world, because that may not be everyone's end game. However most are at least interested in changing their world. YOUR space. YOUR place. I'm quite certain most are at least interested in that, and even on that small scale Jackson's lyrics still apply. It seems much more obvious that if we want OUR position in life to change that we must start by changing something about OURselves. When you say it out loud, it seems to make perfect sense, yet few do it. It's so much easier to play the finger pointing game:

I would have gotten that job if he had given me a recommendation.”
The teacher hates me. No wonder I'm failing the class.”
If my husband worked harder our family would be better off.”
I'm in unhealthy relationships because my mother was always in unhealthy relationships.”
I can't seem to get ahead because you won't help me.”

Come on people. Just stop the madness. Stop it now. When there is example after example of individuals that literally began with nothing yet they somehow managed to create strong legacies for themselves and their families, there is no excuse. None. Either you like where you are and you're completely happy or you want something different for you and your family. Those are the options. If you've already reached the top of your mountain and you couldn't be happier, I'm not talking to you, but if you've still got a ways to climb and you haven't even put on your hiking boots, I hope you're listening with your good ear. Get up off your hiney and go stand in front of the bathroom mirror, stare yourself in the face, and say, “I have to change. I have to do something different. I'm the one holding me back.” Say those sentences over and over until they sit with you, until they get under your skin, until they piss you off enough to do something.

And you needn't feel overwhelmed, because what I've learned is small changes often produce big results. You've just got to commit by creating new habits. Habits. Not, “I did something different last Monday but nothing good came of it.” That's because you've not created a new habit.

Habit: an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary

Regularly followed – that's what I'm getting at. You do that, and without a doubt you'll get the results you're seeking, and I'll leave it at that. Start with you. Make a simple change. Make that change a habit. Prepare to reach your mountain top.

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES.

2 comments:

  1. Good post. I get really tired of hearing the excuses as well, and I hear it from many people. Life starts and life ends. In between you're given certain things and are asked to make the most of it.

    It's the ones that are given enough to make it in this world and still complain that get on my nerves the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Roger Dodger! First off, thanks so much for stopping by. Second, thanks for taking the time and effort to chime in. I love getting reader comments and feedback. And from what you've said, I could not agree with you more. I have enough to deal with, I really don't have the time to listen to you complain about the nail you broke :-)

    Thanks again for stopping by and don't be a stranger!

    Best,
    ~jaz

    ReplyDelete