Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

In a Heartbeat



Well Saturday’s show was, indeed, a success.  I had no idea how it would turn out as I’d been unable to completely ‘center’ myself all week, and as of Friday night’s rehearsal I wasn’t at the top of my game. 

I’ve been told that my show is fairly ‘tech-heavy,’ and I was a bit saddened to know that I’d be doing the show without the use of any of our designed lighting ques.  The event was held at 12N and though we closed the blinds as best we could, the space remained pretty bright making the use of lights insignificant. 

But the biggest challenge of all didn’t hit me until I got on stage…the audience.  Wow.  Crying babies, fidgeting children, sleeping adults, running in the hallway, laughter in the restroom, and noisy cell phones (even though we expressly asked that they be turned off).  Oh boy.  All I could think was, “What have I signed up for?  What have I gotten myself into?”  But my biggest question was, “Can I do this?”  As I took the stage and I got through my first paragraph of dialogue all I wondered was if I’d make it to the end of the show.  There were so many distractions I felt as though I was a single act in a three-ring circus.  “They’re not even listening.  Why am I here?”  As I went from page to page of my memorized script, my focus went to just getting through it.  “If I can just make it to the end, and not stop, and not complain, and not yell at anyone.  All I have to do is finish – make it to the end.”

And finally the end came.  When I saw it on the horizon, I ran to it with open arms full of glory, passion, and thanks.  I breezed through curtain call, then took my seat for the Q&A session.  And holy smokes!!!!  They WERE listening.  They WERE paying attention.  They DID get it.  I was shocked!  The comments they made post show blew my mind because I seriously thought not a soul (other than Vince) was with me.  I was certain I was up on that stage making a stone cold fool of myself.  But it was just the opposite.  They were affected on a monumental level and I truly believe that lives were definitely changed.  I’m still floored at the response.  Just floored.  The moments I shared with the audience after the show were worth all the headache of the performance.  It was worth it.  And under the exact same circumstances (stress and all) I’d do it again.  I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

Thank you to Rare Woman for giving me the opportunity.  Thank you to Jackie Wilson for joining me on stage once again.  You and your song continue to be a blessing to me.  Thank you to Jaimyon Parker for never leaving my side.  I love you more than Snickers.  And for those that missed it this time around…well shame on you (but I love you anyway).

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jasmynne,
    You must be a very patient person. I'm afraid I wouldn't have been that patient! I mean, in character, I would have still figured out a way to fire back at the audience!!!
    I think ringing cell phones, crying babies and sleeping adults, despite all the intelligent questions they asked you, is still a lack of respect and courtesy. Oh boy, would have I exploded!!!
    Congratulations though. I'm glad it turned out to be a success!

    ReplyDelete