Search This Blog

Friday, May 18, 2012

Making Lemonade


Move.  Movement.  Change.  Interruption.  These are all things I’m experiencing right now, and they aren’t the most comfortable pair of shoes I’ve ever worn.  I’m admittedly still breaking them in, but I’m not spending any more money on shoes.  I’m committed to making these work.  I’m committed to making the best out of these circumstances that I’ve been thrust into.  And as I reflect on:  move, movement, change and interruption, I’m reminded of The Alchemist.  The book said that once you declare to yourself and the world your master plan for your life, the universe conspires to help you reach those goals.  Then I think specifically about “interruption.”  I HATE for someone to interrupt me when I’m speaking.  Makes me feel insignificant, like they aren’t listening.  Like the comment they’re about to make if far more important than what I have to say.  I absolutely hate being interrupted.  And if I’m walking from Point A to Point B, I’d rather make it to Point B before changing course.  Then I can at least say that I completed a task – but changing course (or being interrupted) mid-step isn’t quite so easy for me to do.  I’m so task oriented that I only focus on completing tasks.  Checking things off my list (because I always have a list).  So this interruption that I’m experiencing doesn’t feel good, but I’m wondering if the universe has another plan.  Is there something else I’m to be focused on?  Am I being forced to change course so that my ultimate goals can be reached?  I’ll be honest, that’s the only way I’m able to look at it right now.  Looking at it any other way is depressing and unmotivating.  I’ve already spoken about movement being a necessary part of life, so maybe interruption is as well.  Hmmmmm…the jury is still out on that one.

But in the meantime I’m adjusting.  I’m remaining focused on my ultimate goals, looking at the new roads I’m being forced to tread, and I’m mapping a new course.  Oooooo!  Can I stop right here for a moment?  This is key for some folks.  Did you hear what I just said?  “Mapping a new course” = revising my plans = making a new plan.  Did you get that?  Now for some, when things don’t work out according to plan they throw their hands up, curse the heavens, and shout, “What’s the point of making a plan!?!?”  I say the point is to get you on the road.  In order to travel anywhere you must first get on the damn road.  Outside of video games, I don’t know of anyone that has traveled anywhere without having been on a road.  Some walk to their destination, others bike it, some may run, and others may choose to drive.  Then there are many that do a combination of things:  drive or walk to the closest train station… drive to the airport and fly to there… But I promise you, the soul that sits on the sofa all day everyday is going nowhere, and they’ve got no plans to travel.  No plans on getting anything done.  No plans to go anywhere. 

So I guess what I’m saying is: it’s imperative to plan.  This is a must, and there’s no getting around it.  That’s a promise.  But the second thing is you’ve got to be willing to revise your plans whenever they are interrupted, because I can almost guarantee that life will throw you a lemon or two along the way.  Be prepared to make lemonade or be prepared to be stuck.

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES.

No comments:

Post a Comment