Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

New Prescription


I believe you’ve got to experience pain in order to truly know and understand what goodness feels like.  There was a time when I didn’t believe that to be the case, but I am definitely a believer now.  And if you stop to think about it, it makes so much sense.  It’s impossible to be 100% appreciative of something great if you haven’t experienced an equally painful setback.  I walk everyday, and even manage to jog most days, but it’s not something I do with a smile on my face – because I’ve always had the use of my legs.  Walking is a given for me.  Something totally taken for granted.  Other than a few bouts of crutches in middle school, I’ve always had the ability to walk on my own two feet.  Now you give that same ability to someone just coming out of a coma, or someone that’s lost a leg, or even someone that has experienced a bad stroke.  The ability to walk for them is monumental.  It’s HUGE!  They had experienced that painful setback that I was speaking of.  See what I mean?  Without that kind of pain, most of us will continue using our legs with little gratitude.  And that’s the only point I’m making.  But please understand I’m not saying we need to all have strokes, nor am I saying you need skip down the streets with a smile, thankful to have full use of your lower limbs (although that could be fun).  All I’m saying is when the pain comes…when it hits hard – instead of being pissed, get excited (easier said than done, I know).  Because I believe you’re just being prepared for a healthy (pun intended) dose of goodness.  And that’s the kind of prescription that no pharmacy can fill. 

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES.

No comments:

Post a Comment