Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

What’s Your Thing?


What’s your “thing”?  You know…the thing, things, place, person or people that bring you joy and calms your nerves no matter what?  Mine is Christmas songs.  I can’t help but smile and bob my head when listening to holiday music.  Someone once told me that it takes six or seven positives to cancel out a single negative.  That’s just to get you to zero.  And my theory is that if you wait until the negative hits it’s too late – you’re just doing damage control at that point, and that’s tiring.  What I like to do is get a daily dose of my positive artillery.  Even when things are going great; and that’s the best because you’re literally filling your bank at that point.  So instead of simply balancing at zero, you’ll soon be way over the positive marker without much effort.  Then when the negatives attack, you’re ready.  You’ve been getting ready for battle this whole time.  And somehow even the worst of the worse doesn’t affect you as badly as it might have before.  You’re able to deal.  You’re able to cope, and as you keep piling on more positive armor you end of getting over the ordeal and coming out on the other side without a single scratch.  It sounds so hokey and so “Tony Robbins” but it’s so true.  Being positive and remaining in a good mood at all times is work.  Ask anyone.  Life will throw everything it’s got at you and either you’ll break, you’ll bend, or you’re unphased.  Your state of mind and the mental work you’ve been doing up until that point will decide how you handle any given situation.  And it’s worth it.  I say just give it a try.  Even if you feel silly at first.  Even if for only a few minutes each day.  Examples you say?  Ok.  Holiday tunes are number one for me, but here is some of my other go-to ammunition:

-- Family Guy
-- American Dad
-- Dancing in the mirror
-- Jogging
-- Creating something artistic

Those are my go-tos and I use them like they’re going out of style.  And the second I “get too busy” or “don’t have time,” my attitude suffers because of it.  Not immediately, because I’ve usually got a good bank stored up, but it creeps on, and once it’s got a hold of me, it’s hard to shake it.  So I’d much rather do the work when it’s not needed because forcing yourself once the poo has hit the fan can be difficult.

So that’s it from me today.  Your homework:

1.  Identify your “thing”
2.  Once identified, put it/them to use DAILY
3.  Reap the rewards

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES.

2 comments:

  1. I did my homework.
    So, my thing is definitely books. Also music, or a nice poem read by some of my favorite actors. Or a walk.
    The walk, well, I can't say I'm able to take one everyday. But music, books, and poems, those yes, I can give myself a daily shot of them.
    Thank you for the post. It was a lovely one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome, and thanks for being so willing to participate! You've got some awesome "things," and I'd have to say they're working. Hard for me to imagine you in a foul mood. You exude positive energy so keep it up. And you live in the most pedestrian city in the country, what do you mean you don't walk daily? :-)

    ReplyDelete