Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Draw a Line in the Sand


No one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes.  Those are two things for which I am certain.  I know for a fact that I am my worst critic.  I had a realization last year when I was speaking with a friend.  These words came out of my mouth:

“I can’t live up to my own standards, how can I expect someone else to?”

OUCH!  The second I said it, I couldn’t believe it was me doing the talking.  It’s one thing to feel something and it’s another to give that feeling words – words that form a sentence so clear and that cuts so deep.  If I’m being honest, that’s me in a nutshell.  Judgy Jessie.  Yet I would never call myself judgmental – not at all.  I let people grow and go at their own pace, and I accept everyone for who they are.  I learned the hard way that there really is no changing anyone (that isn’t seeking change for themselves).  BUT – if they aren’t as driven as me, as determined as me, as focused as me, as disciplined as me, if they don’t have the integrity that I have plus some, if they don’t have a solid work ethic, if they don’t have a plan then they certainly won’t be making it into my close circle of friends, and there is definitely no way that I’d ever consider dating them.  Let that be someone else’s project.

There it is.  I’ve shared my guts with you right there and it takes me back to the statement I made:

“I can’t live up to my own standards, how can I expect someone else to?”

I fall short.  I fail.  I let myself down.  I do those things to myself.  Me!  I!  Not on purpose, of course, but because I’m not perfect.  There, I said it.  I.  Am.  Not.  Perfect.  I’m not.  I fall short of my goals almost daily, and I’m always kicking myself.  But here’s the thing, actually here’s the two things:

  1. I don’t set wimpy goals for myself
  2. Even when I miss a mark, I reset and try again

Did you get that?  Some of you don’t know what you’re capable of because you’re setting these Mickey Mouse (sorry Disney) goals for yourselves.  Come on, man!  If a guy can amputate his own arm to save his life (127 Hours) and live to tell about it, you can do better. And when you fall short, stop spending six months to cry over spilled milk.  So what!?!?  You didn’t quite make it!  Big deal!  Look up the story on 409 (cleaner) for inspiration.  Mistakes are meant to be made.  Lessons are meant to be learned.  WE are meant to get stronger.  So toughen up.  It’s not the end of the world.  Draw a line in the sand and go for the gold.  Don’t even think about second place.  Nobody ever remembers that guy’s name anyway.

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES.

No comments:

Post a Comment