Search This Blog

Friday, September 28, 2012

Watch Your Garden Grow


I’m beginning this post having absolutely no idea what I’m planning to write about.  “Planning” doesn’t even seem like the right term, as there is currently no “plan.”

I just read a text that said, “all labor produces profit,” and I got excited.  I think often times we toil and work our fingers to the nub and we get super frustrated when we don’t see any fruits/results.  We may slink away and sulk in the corner asking, “What’s the point?”  Why the heck have we spent all that time planning (there’s that word again), putting pen to paper, completing trial runs… Why have we bothered to put our best foot forward if it wasn’t going to get us anywhere?  Think about it.  When you put gas in your car and later put your foot on the accelerator, you fully expect to advance.  Something would be terribly wrong if you did both those things and you continued to sit idle.  That’s about the time you contact your mechanic saying, “Houston, we have a problem,” because as far as you know you did what you were supposed to do, but nothing happened.

I would venture to say that more often than not we feel like that in our own lives.  “I did the work, but I got no results.”  What’s up with that??

Well, I’m here to pose an alternative methodology.  Let’s say your work/labor has, indeed, advanced you – you just may not be able to see it yet.  I talked about seasons in a recent post, and I’m going to employ the same metaphor here just a bit more literally.  Let’s take Farmer John -- now I’m gonna’ ask you to make a few allowances for me as I know absolutely nothing about agriculture.  I’m sure I’m gonna misspeak more than once.  Don’t chop my head off for it.

Ok, so back to Farmer John…  Though he plants his broccoli in late April – early May, he doesn’t expect a mature plant for 4-5 months.  However, he’ll plant his bush beans at the same time and those seeds will produce a mature plant within 60 days.  Yet he can plant an avocado tree at virtually any time during the year and he knows that it’ll take 3-5 years for that tree to reach maturity.  Seasons.  Though he’s doing the work, the times at which he can visually see his “payoffs” are vastly different for each seed that he sows.  Are you with me?  ALL of his work is producing profit even though he may not be able to see it right away.  And for that avocado tree, he knows it’s gonna be a while before it’s fully grown, and he never gives up on it.  Day in and day out he tends to it.  Months go by…years go by…and he remains faithful to the tree as he knows the fruit it will bear.

We have to be like Farmer John.  You have to KNOW, TRUST, and BELIEVE that all of your work will and DOES produce profit.  Don’t buy the lie that you got knocked three spaces back.  Don’t buy it!  Your life is no Monopoly game and shame on anyone that has you believing otherwise.  If you put in work EXPECT to be advanced, whether you can see an immediate change or not.  Just expect it.  And be proud about it.  You worked for God’s sake!!  My goodness!  Don’t throw that away.  Pat yourself on the back and do more, because the more you do, the more you get.  What I’m telling you is that every single seed you plant returns a harvest – you just have to be patient while the plant matures.

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES.

photo credit:  http://www.irrigationdirect.com/media/backyard-vegetable-garden.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment