Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Who Are You On Paper?

Sorry I don't have any preamble for you today. Today I only feel like digging right in. Strap your belts tight, 'cause I'm on one!

Life is so crazy, so unpredictable, and so unfair that it makes it very easy for us to forget that we're not all bad. Even if we've had a string of successes coupled with a mountain of accomplishment, it only takes one or two major set-backs for us to forget it all. With that bee sting of a disappointment we quickly forget about all the pats on the back we received from friends, family members, and kind supporters not all that long ago. With all that forgotten and now thrown out the window all we're sitting with is a bag of sour grapes and a tub of rotten tomatoes. Not at all appetizing, and no matter how hard we try the stinch of it all does nothing but bring more sadness, disappointment and misery. “What the hell, man! What's up with this disgustingly rancid odor that seems to be overtaking my life?!? Who am I right now? Why is it one bad thing after another all of a sudden? Can I do anything right? Holy smokes! I feel like I'm drowning! Will someone toss me a life preserver? Someone...anyone...please...”

Ever been there? Ever felt like you were drowning in your own shit? Every felt like no matter how hard you tried to put one foot in front of the other, life kept on slapping you in the face and thrusting back five spaces? Ever look around and see smiling faces and because you feel so rotten about yourself you can't even be happy for a fellow friend? That is an awful place to be, but you're not alone. And I may not have all the answers, but I've got a cure for you today. When I was going through a rough patch a friend said to me, “Jaz, you've got to fall in love with YOU again. You have to remind yourself why you're great.” And that's the advice I'm passing to you. Watch this.

Grab a pen and paper because I need you to write. Write out what you've accomplished in your life to date. Things that you're proud of. You're welcome to go back as far as you like. As a matter of fact, the farther back you go, the better. Jot it all down...

voted Most Likely to Succeed in high school
crowned Homecoming King
captain of the ________ team
graduated high school with honors
successfully completed a 2-year, 4-year college/university
earned a ________ degree
earned a ________ certification
purchased your first home
purchased your first, second, third car
payed off a large amount of debt
received recognition for a project that you created or managed
received a substantial raise/promotion at work
raising happy, healthy child(ren)
survived a traumatic medical situation
served on the board of civic group/organization
small business owner

I don't know you, but you know you, and I want you to write it all down, and then recite the list to yourself. Look at it. Study it. This is you. All of this is you. I've got a friend that's always saying to me, “Well...I look good on paper.” My response? WAKE UP!!! That's you!! All of that on that paper is you! It's not the guy/girl across the street. It's not your classmate. It's not your mom or dad. All of that is YOU, and it's all worth being proud of. Are you kidding me??? There are so many people that'd kill to have just one or two of your accomplishments. You are awesome, and you're doing awesome work. Your only problem is that you let that bee sting of a situation bring you down...so far down that you completely forgot who you were. Well I'm here to tell you, no – command you – to stop it now. Enough of that. Post your paper of accomplishments somewhere where you'll be able to see them everyday, because that's the you that the world sees. Those things that are listed on that paper, that's all anyone else sees. That paper goes before you, representing you like a calling card. So if you thought you were an unaccomplished loser – sorry. That's just not the case. So what you need to do is wrap your head around it and begin to understand what everyone else already knows. We all know who you are on paper, do you?

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES.

No comments:

Post a Comment