Search This Blog

Friday, September 21, 2012

Seasons Change


I heard a song lyric the other day that said, “Now you’re just somebody that I used to know.”  I heard it, pulled my car over, located pen and paper, and I wrote it down.  Who knows (I’m sure someone knows) what the song title is or who sings it, but they have never spoken truer words with that statement.

I’m gonna keep this one short today as I have much to get done, but I do want to make sure I get this point across. 

We aren’t meant to take every friend and acquaintance with us on our life’s journey.  There is such a thing as seasons, and sometimes folks are only meant to be in our lives for a season.  Perhaps they came into our life to teach us a lesson.  Maybe we crossed their path because they held the answer to a question that had been plaguing us.  There are even times when we need to meet them in order to learn more about ourselves.  It could even be a situation where our relationship with them got us one (or two) steps closer to a major goal.  The reasons are many, and it’s usually not until the friendship has dissolved that we begin to realize the purpose of that relationship.  But I can promise you this:  if you try to hang on to someone longer than you are meant to, it can quickly turn disastrous and it’ll leave you scratching your head wondering what in God’s name has happened to this once happy union.  Now the smell of sour grapes is thick in the air and it’s trying to tell you that the change of seasons has come and that person’s time is up in your life.  And sometimes it hurts like hell because that season may have stretched across decades and you can’t make it make any sense.  You were certain this was someone that you’d be growing old with, but the universe has different plans for you.  And in order for you to reach your full potential, you will eventually have to take heed to the messages you’re being sent.

And I would be lying if I were to say that these are easy messages to respond to.  They aren’t, and most will go through life ignoring them – but nothing good comes from that.  What was once a fun, energetic, inspiring relationship over time will turn spiteful, hurtful, and dishonest.  It’s just not good.  Where the two of you may have been able to let nature run its course and naturally drift apart, now the both of you are fuming angry and things have gotten ugly.  If you can help it, you never want things to go that far because one or both of you may end up saying things out of anger – things that you may later regret.  It’s always best, but not always easy, to part ways the moment you recognize the season is changing.  And you may not always know right away, but you will ALWAYS know, and don’t feel bad when you find yourself saying, “Now you’re just somebody that I used to know.”  It’s not a bad thing.  It’s a very necessary part of life to get from point A to point Z.  I don’t care where you live, it may be subtle, but the seasons always change.  Our personal relationships are no different.

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES. 

No comments:

Post a Comment