Search This Blog

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Push, Push, Push…Breathe

So what most don’t realize is that when you self-produce a project you are the beginning, the middle, and the end. In the case of STEPPING ON A FEW TOES I am the writer, the talent, the financier, the project manager, the casting director, the production assistant(s), the artistic director, the props manager, the wardrobe coordinator, the publicist, the booking manager, and I’m in charge of promotions and marketing. Jaimyon Parker is the director. Thankfully I did not have to direct myself – I can’t even imagine. Rane Laymance is the Production Manager. He handles the duties of a Stage Manager plus some. He’s ran lights and sound for the show for the past two years, and helped me creatively along the way as well. But other than these two gems, it’s me rolling solo in the trenches, and it can be really tough. I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed today because there is so much work to get done before year end to solidify tour dates for February 2012 – and I can’t do it alone. I can’t. I’m burnt out as is, and I’m emotionally fragile (a by-product of performing this show). Simply put: I need help. I posted an ad yesterday looking for a Production Assistant, and immediately received about 10 or so inquiries. So as opposed to getting my things together to begin contacting schools this week, I need to carve out some time to review these applicants, settle on someone, and quickly get him or her up to speed on everything so they can begin asap. I’ll lose a week of work in the process, but if I find the right person I’ll gain in the long run. Ugh…there really isn’t enough time in the day.

I’m also in the middle of updating my website (
http://www.jasmynneshaye.com/), the show’s website (http://www.steppingontoes.com/), and the Sassy J Designs site (http://www.sassyjdesigns.com/). They have to be complete by the first of December and I’m keeping my fingers crossed that Jaimyon can squeeze it all in. Yes – he is not only my director, he’s also my webmaster. I’m also working with a graphic artist to design a logo for my name. As I push forward branding is so important, and it needs to start now. I need clean, clear recognizable symbols for me, S.O.F.T., and Sassy J Designs. Sassy J? It’s a line of fingerless gloves I’m working on. They are featured in WIND IN THE WILLOW TREE (http://www.windinthewillowtree.com/), a new webseries written and directed by Jaimyon. I act in it, and I’m on the production team as well. Do you see?? Full plate doesn’t even begin to describe my life (or Jaimyon’s for that matter). It really doesn’t. But even now, when it’s hard as hell, and I’m tired as all get out…I know in my heart of hearts that all the work and effort is worth it, and that it will pay off. There aren’t many that would do what I’m doing, and that doesn’t make me a hero -- I just know that when you work harder than most, you get a return that most will never experience. I always keep my eyes on the ultimate goal(s), and I do my best to never stray. It can be tough, but even when I fall off the path I’ve gotten good at snatching myself by the collar and dragging myself back in line. That’s been my story for the past few years: push, push, push…breathe… push, push, push…breathe. Kinda’ sounds like labor right? I don’t know of any other way.

My name is Jasmynne Shaye, and this is me STEPPING ON A FEW TOES.

No comments:

Post a Comment